Pages

Monday 1 September 2008

R.E.M. wrote the soundtrack to my life

R.E.M. what can I say you blew me away. For a band that started the year I was born, you have managed to sustain longevity, judging by the crowds that pitch up to the concerts. 

I am an R.E.M. nerd, as in I know the words to all their songs (yes including The End of the World as we know It) and have the albums from the 80's although at the time I did not even know they existed. Hell in the 80's I was barely even aware that I existed. 

Well, I have never hidden the fact that I am a nerd, have I? Anyway, only a nerd like me could have had a lengthy wishlist composed in her head of songs for which she would lick shoes to hear live. How wierd is this, they played every single one! Even old, fairly obscure songs that I thought would never surface for lack of mainstream appeal. Kay here they are in nerdblurt: PerfectCircleFallonmeDisturbanceattheHeronhouseCountryFeedbackI'vebeenhighLetmeinITEOTWAWKI!!!!!.
Perfect Circle, I will have you know, was released in 1983, when I was 3 years old, and is one of the most beautiful live songs I have ever heard. Whover said that 80's music  was rubbish?

Nerd rant over.

They made my day though.

Here is the setlist for anyone who is interested (and the reasons why these songs are the soundtrack to my life):


1. Living Well Is The Best Revenge (indeed it is)
2. These Days (we are hope despite the times)
3. The Wake-Up Bomb (I threw up when I saw what I'd done)
4. What's The Frequency, Kenneth? (withdrawal in disgust is not the same as apathy)
5. Drive (ticktock-maybe I'm crazy in the head?)
6. Man-Sized Wreath (kick it out on the dancefloor like you just don't care)
7. Disturbance At The Heron House (they're numbering the monkeys as we speak, including the seamonkeys)
8. Ignoreland (I'm just profoundly frustrated by all this)
9. Walk Unafraid (be clumsy instead)
10. Hollow Man (believe in me, believe in nothing)
11. Fall On Me (please don't fall on me, sky)
12. Electrolite (I am also Steve McQueen)
13. The Great Beyond (over my shoulder a piano just crashed to the ground. I swear. In my mind.)
14. I’m Gonna Dj (death is pretty final)
15. Exhuming McCarthy (You're more beautiful than me)
16. The One I Love (a simple thought to occupy my time)
17. I’ve Been High (I've climbed so high)
18. Let Me In (all the stars drip down like butter)
19. Horse To Water (you are only as big as your battles)
20. Bad Day (shit so thick you can stir it with a stick-free teflon whitewashed presidency - aren't they all?)
21. Orange Crush (And I was just in a different country)
22. Imitation Of Life (no-one can see me cry)
23. Supernatural Superserious (everybody comes from somewhere)
24. Losing My Religion (oh no I've said too much)
25. Perfect Circle (put your hair back, we get to leave)
26. Country Feedback (these clothes don't fit me right, and I'm to blame)
27. It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) (And so do I)
28. Man On The Moon (nothing is cool)

#remlondon

No comments: