Pages

Thursday 29 October 2009

Leopard print



I don't get it. Don't get why:

  • It exists at all, except for caveman dress up parties
  • it was ever in fashion
  • it is always in fashion. Someone is always wearing a leopard print something, every year, forever.


Is it attractive, sexy, appealing to you? It certainly is not to me. I think it looks hideous. Snakeskin is almost as bad, but not quite.

I assume some people out there love it, so please can you explain the appeal. Also, I dare you to post your leopard print items on your blog, as a kind of leopard print wall of shame. Or if you love it, your leopard print wall of pride.

I don't own a single leopardy item and never have. My ancestors left their caves a fair while ago, I like to think.

Or else they were too poor or scaredy cat to wear leopard and had to settle for dassie or even worse, palm leaf instead.

Maybe they just walked around nekkid, it would explain the extent of my dress sense.
UPDATE: here are links to leopard print walls of... wonder:

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I toooootally agree. I don't get it! The only place leopard print looks good in ON a leopard. Same goes for fur and snakeskin. Better ON the animal!

Cam said...

I know I fcking hate it!!!

It only looks good on leopards and I'm qualified to say, it looks kuk on anything else!

Tara said...

I love it man...but for a very good reason.

Only if it's tacky for the sake of being tacky.

Seriously.

I own like a bunch of shit that is so mindblowingly tacky just because it makes me giggle.

Just ask my furry (fake) purple bag.

Anonymous said...

I want to know where they get the multi-coloured ones from. I totally want a purple leopard as a pet....

Damaria Senne said...

i don't get it either. And I don't have a leopard skin anything.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you. It was and still is one of fashion's biggest mistakes. Good Lawd, I don't get it at all. YUCK!

Tamara said...

I think the problem with leopard print is in the dosage. Leopard-print stilettos with a little black dress... Fine. Leopard-print headband with big sunglasses and a totally white outfit... Fine.

But the people who like leorpard print, they generally seem to like wearing it from head to toe. Like the sad schleb in your pic.

maybe the term "cougar" should actually be leopard?

LadyFi said...

Can't help ... I don't get it either. Maybe it brings out the animal in them?

6000 said...

HAWT!

po said...

So Tara, and anyone else who has some items (6000, Tamara?), I hope you plan to show them off on your blog, kay?

Tara: I guess I don't have enough sense of humour for leopard print but then, many people are wearing it in all seriousness, and so I should take them seriously :)

Helen said...

Aaaah! The thought of it makes me shudder! I had a minor meltdown when I went shopping a couple of months ago and I was greeted by a friendly sales assistant who offered to pick something out for me.

I won't go into gory details but there was leopard print and I ran away...

I never figured out the attraction either, and the way it's always worn by old(er) people. Like a 50-year-old housewife is going to be a leopard hunter? Hah!

And considering my social interactions are mostly in Nelspruit right now, I see a LOT of the stuff... need a hidden camera!

po said...

Helen: haha I wish you could take photos of the lesser spotted leopard print and post it to your blog!

EEbEE said...

my sister once had leopard print curtains in her bedroom...

the print isn't as bad in a room. but on people... Nah, just p'ugly