Pages

Friday 30 October 2009

It's my blog and I will go on about me endlessly if I want to.


I am feeling totally self absorbed right now so I am going to ramble a bit about me.

I have 4 days off next week due to leave carryover. I am so happy about this I could sneeze tiny Happy dwarfs. Ok, that description sounds like I am on drugs, but it made sense to me.

For some reason my body seems to give out every 3 months or so, and then I need a holiday or I will melt into a puddle. I don't know why, because other people around me don't use up all their holiday, some of them don't take any.

I think it has something to do with my mental fragility. But I can't argue with my body, I have been hanging by my last thread of sanity for the whole of October, which is my 4th month without a break. I think if I had to go one more day I would cry, scream, or do something with a builder's drill that I might regret later.

I don't know why I am feeble like this. It's pretty annoying. They need to make seamonkeys more robust.

Speaking of builders, they are still drilling to Australia, only last weekend there was a near-death mishap which involved an explosion, a circular saw and an enquiry into negligence, so I reckon they will be around even longer. I have started to get headaches when they STOP drilling now. The ground also moves quite frequently, which is novel.


And finally in this lame post, here is something that made me smile for some reason. A Chinese colleague experienced his first English summer this year, and he asked me last month, "so, where was the summer? It feels like it hasn't started but it is already over."

He told me that where he comes from, 40 degrees C is a common temperature, and summer only really starts when it hits 30. So I told him that when it hits 30 here, and it did once or twice this year, the temperature will be on the front page of all the newspapers, the entire country shuts down, and they basically call a state of emergency. They call it "high alert" or something.

It just made me smile to think that there are so many different versions of "normality" and "reality" out there. There is so much diversity. One person's madness is another person average day.

I dunno. I dig it.

9 comments:

Cam said...

Ok ok, no one ever said you shouldn't. :)

Damaria Senne said...

Enjoy your break. I could do with one, but I'm only taking my holiday end of Dec/beginning of Jan. I plan to sleep. A lot!

Tamara said...

Nice! That's sounds good. It hink three-month breaks (even if it's just a long weekend) should be mandatory.

Good point about alternate normalities. Must use that line on my dad next time he starts with his "I am the only normal one in this family" nonsense ;-)

6000 said...

We have a bugger of a Cape Town weekend coming up. 29C tomorrow, 31 on Sunday. Bummer.

I do have a few jobs to do, mind. There's some cold beer to drink and a pool to lie by. And... no, no... I think that's everything.

Enjoy your break.

Helen said...

Enjoy your break! I hope there's some sun you can find and absorb!

LadyFi said...

You're right - there IS so much diversity out there. IT's cool!

Hope you sneeze lots of happy dwarves on your day off!

po said...

Thank you people, I am feeling as light as a very very light thing knowing I have almost no work this week! Weeeeeeee!

Dora said...

Oh...I need lots and lots of holidays and days away. Otherwise I might kill my boss. Aha! So no wonder they invented annual leaves!

Oh yeah, I find it very amusing old people start dying here when it hits 30 degrees.

But at the same time, the whole of Hong Kong is put on high alert and people start dying when winter hits 9 degrees or whatever - which is like, what we're having now for autumn??!

po said...

Dora: haha, that's what I think is cool, all the various interpretations of what is usual and what is emergency weather!